Thursday, January 19, 2006

We're safe.

We're safe.

I really appreciate all the e-mail worried readers sent to me last night asking about our safety - your good wishes mean more to us than I can say in this difficult time. And the offers of help - Thank you. That's all I can say - thank you.

We're safe enough for now. We got away from the monkeys and now we're hiding in the basement of an abandoned building. The doors are steel and miraculously, the locks work - we'll be safe for a little while. We've got a little bit of time to figure out what to do next. I'm connected via an unprotected wireless connection - I don't know how long that will be available to me but I need to stay in touch with the rest of the world. It's important to know that our world is bigger than what I can see in this little basement. Derek thinks it's stealing to use this connection but I don't care - I need to have access. And with everything else that's going on - it's just such a stupid thing for him to get worked up over. He can be so damn smug.

I tell myself that we're both scared and stressed. I think he's focusing on the wireless connection because that's something he can get his mind around - not like the monkeys and the house and everything that's happened to us since the bombings. I tell myself to be patient and to be glad that we still have each other. Probably he's telling himself the same thing. He's sitting in the corner, holding the baby, and glaring at me.

Oh, God, the baby's crying. Can they hear her outside? I don't know. I need to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.