Friday, January 20, 2006

Our New Home

Derek went out today. I tried to sit down to type this up while he was out, but the baby was fretting, so I couldn't. He's back now, and safe, thank God. But we got into a big fight about the wireless connection - so I told him just now that I'm playing games, not typing a blog entry - so I have to hit the keys methodically and quickly, and swear a lot, as if I were playing Tetris. It's hard. I feel bad about lying to him but what else can I do? I can't just stay locked up in this basement for the rest of my life - which may not be very long if the monkeys find us.

Someone wrote to me and said we're lucky we found this place - and it's true, but not in the way she thinks. As soon as the monkey attacks started, way back in the spring, Derek knew things were going to get bad. He'd seen this building, way over in the West side, and he started thinking that maybe it wouldn't be such a bad place to hide, if the worst happened. It used to be some kind of factory, I think; it's four floors with a solid brick walls, and this huge basement. He liked how solid it looked, and how defensible. One night Derek broke in and checked it out. He was so excited when he came home and told me about it. I thought he was crazy and laughed at him, so he didn't mention it again -- until last night.

He told me he'd been working on the place -- he put in a reinforced steel door and he changed the locks. He bricked up all the windows in the basement, and the door to the upstairs, he started bringing in food and water and other supplies. It's amazing -- we could survive here for months, if we had to -- and we might have to.

He didn't even say "I told you so." I really really love that man.

It's dark in here, though. No electricity - I'm not sure what I'm going to do when the batteries run out on my laptop. We do have a stash of kerosene and some lanterns, but Derek doesn't like to use them - he's afraid that someone will be able to see the flickering light, or perhaps that I'll knock a lantern over and we'll all die in agony in this basement. How's anyone going to see the light? He bricked up all the windows. Men.

It was awful sitting here in the dark while he was gone. I just sat and held the baby and tried not to cry too much, because that upsets her even more. When Derek came back he had some information and some supplies - a carton of milk, some apples, some bread. Not much, but like I said, we don't need much right now. He also bought me a copy of the Winter issue of Shimmer - I can't believe they were able to put the magazine out despite the monkeys. I am looking forward to reading it, as soon as Derek lets me turn on the kerosene lantern for long enough.

I love it so much that he brought the magazine to me, even though I can't read it yet. Before I started typing I just sat and held it in my hands for a while. It feels so glossy. I love him for trying to bring me something that would make me happy.

What am I doing? Stealing a wireless connection and lying about it to the man I love, after he saved my life? I am so stupid.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hadn't heard of Shimmer, what is it? Although, being trapped in the mountains the way we are, I don't think I'd be able to get to a news stand anyway.

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.