Friday, February 17, 2006

Geoffrey writes:


As for the monkeys in Nova Scotia--you and Robert are the first outside contact I've been able to make since the accident. Food supplies are running low and the phone lines are dead. Jimminy went out to seek a recent issue of TV Guide, and hasn't returned...I have come to the realization that I might never know how Survivor concludes this season.

Stay brave, stay free, fight the monkeys.


And I am just worried. Worried about Geoffrey, of course, but also about those poor people on Survivor. Can you imagine? They go through 39 days of grueling physical challenges, minimal food and water, weird manipulative psychodynamics and backstabbing, all for the hope of a million dollars. And, ok, they're desperate attention-seeking whores, but still - it doesn't look very fun, does it?

But the group that's currently out on some idyllic island somewhere - what's going to happen to them when they come back to the United States? Can you imagine going through everything they have, only to find a devastated monkey-infested world upon their return? Talk about culture shock. Do you think the producers tell them? Probably not - they probably just keep the cameras rolling, and watch as the survivors are slaughtered. It will be their best ratings on a finale show EVER.

Still no TV here. I have been able to find out a little bit about Survivor from various web sites, but it's just not the same as watching it. I did try to download one episode from Google but Derek wouldn't let me use the credit card; he said it would let the evil robot monkeys track us. He's probably right - but even if he isn't, I've put us in so much jeopardy already. DAISI has been a big help but the risk - I look back on what happened last week and I am just astonished and humbled by how lucky we are.

But ok, ok, I'm worried about G. too - all alone in Nova Scotia and running out of food. I wish there was something I could do to help. I know that there are survivors everywhere, in every city - the problem is that we're not organized, for the most part. Mr. Kotter has gathered a group, and that's great for them - but mostly, it's isolated individuals left.

If only there was some way I could help Geoffrey, and all the other lone survivors out there. I keep thinking of the underground railroad that helped escaped slaves flee to freedom in the North - but even if we could get something like that organized - there's no safe place to go. And we just don't have the infrastructure yet - there's Geoffrey in Nova Scotia and Mimi Robby up in the mountains - but that's not much of a network.

But there is no safe place.

I think I need a drink.

2 Comments:

Blogger Geoffrey Milder said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Geoffrey Milder said...

I too was originally concerned about the fate of those poor Survivors; fearing what would happen upon their return to (what's left of) civilization.

I take comfort in the little known facts: that Jeff Probst was a commander in SEAL team 5, he has a history of clandestine contract work for Britain's SAS and the French Foreign Legion. Jeff is fluent in Farsi, Arabic, and Japanese and has a working knowledge of Mandarin and American Sign Language. He holds an exhaustive knowledge of hand-to-hand combat techniques, small arms training, and an instructor’s certification in explosives and demolitions. Did I mention that he has a tattoo across his back that reads “If It Bleeds I Can Kill It”? Ok, I know that ERMs don’t bleed, but the tattoo has to count for something. I know that the monkeys are ruthless horrific creatures, but I almost feel pity knowing the horror that Jeff's military issue bayonet is about to inflict on the simians and their circuitry, the moment he disembarks from the helicopter—he may not last long, but at least he’ll take a few with him.

I'm not alone in Halifax, Leah (my girlfriend who has helped keep me safe thus far) and I made it to the roof of our building last night and noticed isolated bonfires coming from the south end of the city--I only hope the fires are a sign of life, a sign of hope.

We may investigate.

I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully.

Stay brave, stay free, fight the monkeys.

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.