Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Latest Developments

So this afternoon, the three of us are sitting around playing Scrabble. Of course, DAISI is winning, so I let Gretchen gum my tiles while I'm waiting for inspiration to strike, and oops, if she swallows them, then I guess we just won't be able to play Scrabble any more, now, will we? But no, she's a good baby, and spits the tiles right out again.

Then someone knocked on the door.

Holy crap.

It's such an ordinary sound - but I haven't heard it for weeks. And here, in the basement, living like this, how can it mean anything good? I leap up, and if the Scrabble board is knocked over and tiles scattered everywhere that's just a coincidence, right? It was an accident. I swear. I guess we'll just have to start over, and maybe I won't lose so badly next time.

So anyway. The door. I jump up and head for the big red EMP button, but DAISI tells me to stop. We look at the monitors - stupid monkey, playing Scrabble when she was supposed to be watching the monitors - who actually bothers to learn all those lame 2-letter words, anyway? and when I see what's out there, I'm glad I didn't hit the button.

I'm not all that clear on what an EMP would do to a person, but she's thankful we didn't find out.

At first I think it's a guy, because this person has a shaved head. Then the face turns up toward the camera, and I can tell, somehow, even on the grainy black and white monitor, that this is a woman. She's a skinny thing, and looks a little hesitant.

Derek looks at me. "Another one of your friends?"

I shake my head. Geoffrey's in Canada and he's not a woman; Jilly's in Tuscon and she's not a woman; MimiRobby and Sarah are probably women but you'd think they would have said something before just showing up. I have no idea who this person is.

"What should we do?" We were all wondering it, but I was the one who said it. What could we do? We could try out the EMP. We could use some of the other weapons. We could just stay quiet until she went away - but if she was human, and she sure looked like she was, then the monkeys would get her soon. So we did the only thing we reasonably could: we let her in.

Her name is Maddie, she's a Buddhist nun, and Mr. Kotter threw her out of his compound when he learned she wasn't willing to fight monkeys.

So she came here? Great. She and Derek are going to get along famously. I just hope she sucks at Scrabble. Oooh, and I bet she's lousy at poker; I bet I can take her down.

More soon.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Clarissa, get out of the basement! She knew where to find you and you never told Mr. Kotter where you were staying.

3:05 AM  
Blogger Geoffrey Milder said...

I hate budhists, or anyone that thinks their stupid philosophy serves as a defence mechanism against laser rifles. There's no place for moral absolutism any more, it's a luxury none of us can affoard since the attacks. If you're not willing to fight, I'm not willing to defend you. Maybe Maddie should see how far she gets chanting the sutras to an ERM with a laser rifle.

I've changed. I used to be a pacifist, hell I used to even believe in the teachings of the Buddha, but he never dealt with ERMs under his precious bodie tree. Now I subscribe to the "shoot first ask questions later" school of thought...if I decide to bother asking questions at all.

The fires in the South end stopped a couple of days ago.

Stay brave, stay free, fight the monkeys.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

"You'd have been fragging a Robot."

Oh, FRAGGING. I thought you meant something else there for a minute and I am just not that kind of girl. Really. No matter how many Vodka Peach Juice Surprises I've had.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Robert! He says his occupation is monkey-killing. What more information do you need in a profile? sheesh.

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.