Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Cat and Mouse

This afternoon, I was curled up on one of the beanbag chairs in the Young Adult section, reading a book on Anglo-Saxon grammar (having lost interest in Egyptology over the weekend, having read the DaVinci Code and the Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood and all the Harry Potter books already). I want to be able to discuss "Beowulf" intelligently if I ever meet Jimmy Carter, you know? Translations are good and all, but as one of my college professors said, "reading poetry in translation is like having a Great Dane breathe up your nose."

Huh. Now that I look at that statement all typed out like that, I'm not sure what it means. I guess English wasn't his first language.

So anyway, I'm trying to work my way through the various uses of the subjunctive when I hear the elevator ding.

Scared the crap out of me. Stuff like that has been happening ever since we got here - I told you I was hearing sounds, and my Philip K. Dick book wasn't where I left it. Seems like every day there's something like that - I hear footsteps, or there's a light turned on in a part of the building that I haven't been to for days, or I hear the plumbing running, or something. But every time I look, there's nothing there.

It makes me jumpy.

So when the elevator dinged, I jumped. I grabbed the laser rifle and darted over toward the elevator, ducking low to stay hidden by the kid-sized bookshelves. It couldn't have taken me more than 5 seconds to get over there - but when I peeked out, no one was there. It was utterly silent.

I got pretty good at sitting quietly while we were in the basement, so I just sat and waited. If someone was there, hiding, if someone had flown out of the elevator and was hiding in the stacks even faster than I'd run over here - they'd have to move eventually.

I could see the elevator from where I was. It was sitting empty and open. I couldn't see a whole lot else; bookshelves, mostly. The reference desk. A little open space. But I knew that if anyone moved, I would hear them.

No one moved.

I waited for twenty minutes. Twenty god damn minutes. When's the last time you sat still for 20 minutes? Without moving at all? Barely even breathing?

Didn't think so.

Eventually I got bored and took a deep breath. Then I stood up. My legs were kind of crampy so that might not have been as dramatic a gesture as I hoped but since ostensibly no one was looking, I didn't worry. Plus, I had a gun.

"HEY!" I yelled. "COME OUT HERE NOW. OR I'LL START SHOOTING."

Silence.

"I'M NOT KIDDING." I'd shoot the paperback romance novels first, but whoever was hiding there wouldn't know that.

Silence.

So I shot one. Fired all the way across the reference desk and took out a thick paperback. It was kind of far away but even at that distance I could see the cover heroine's heaving bosoms. The laser rifle made its usual FWAP sound and then presto, there's a smoking hole in the middle of the book. Not even a very big hole and the book's just sitting there on the shelf, smoking. It didn't even fall off. It wasn't quite as satisfying as I'd hoped.

"SEE THAT?" I yelled. "I'M A DAMN GOOD SHOT. COME OUT."

Silence.

I spent the next four hours stalking through that library shooting books.

I didn't find anyone. No one was there.

I don't know what's going on.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

DAISI reading. 500 books since coming to Library. Learning. Very good at learning, DAISI. Confusing, Clarissa's books. Not secret Ya, Ya Sisterhood, not code DaVinci. Not wolf Beowulf. Also not clear in what posture Great Dane is breathing up college professor's nose. Strange bio humans.

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.