Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Life At The Library

It's pretty great, living in the library, I have to say.

I haven't posted anything for a few days because we were pretty busy making it secure. It's a big library, with lots of glass - but DAISI is clever with fortifications, and I feel secure now. I'm not going to tell you everything we've rigged up lately, that would be giving too much away - but we're safe, and we'll continue to develop our fortifications in the future.

Somehow, the power's still on, and the plumbing. It's very nice. Unlimited time on the computers, woo!

Of course, the first thing I did was look at the Jimmy Carter books. Naturally most of them are checked out - we'll never see those books again. I can only hope that they were a comfort to the library patrons who checked them out, in their last moments.

It's so quiet here. Sometimes I think I hear sounds but it's always just the wind, or the building settling. It's quiet here in a way the basement never was. There's no one breathing here but me.

It takes some getting used to. I don't know if I like it or not. We'll see.

DAISI has been giving me a lot of space. I'm pretty sure she's be up for Scrabble if I asked, but I don't want to ask. Not yet.

I miss Derek and the baby terribly. I'm also desperately glad that they're not here. It's awful.

Reading a lot, researching robotics and military strategy and the like, trying to understand how we ended up in this situation - and trying to figure out what to do next.

Quiet days.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How clever of you to go to the library, Clarissa. Don't you wonder whey they've maintained things like power and water? Are they planning to use the empty cities? There are four of us here now, and we have decided to leave Florida. With the monkeys in control, we have no way to get hurricane warnings, and the storm season is approaching. We're not sure where we'll go, but somewhere away from the coast. If we're lucky, we'll find libraries along the way, and maybe even other human beings. Live ones for a change.

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Clarissa, I just found this link to an audiobook called How to survive a Robot Uprising. Might be a good resource.

http://www.sffaudio.com/2006/03/how-to-survive-robot-uprising-tips-on.html

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.