Thursday, March 16, 2006

Libraries Can Be Creepy

So it's this big quiet place, right? So what are those sounds I hear sometimes?

Sometimes I hear the elevator fire up, even though I didn't push the button. I grab the laser rifle and run over to it but no one is ever there. Just this empty elevator, going up and down for no reason.

Sometimes I hear the plumbing running, like someone flushed a toilet.

The other day, I swear my copy of "Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said" wasn't where I left it. I swear it was in the second floor carrel I've been using, tucked between "Heart of Darkness" and Feynmann's "Six Easy Pieces". But when I went looking for it, it wasn't there. I searched all over the damn library for it. I've read "Flow My Tears" before, of course, but I wanted to read it again, now that I have some spare time while I am supposedly figuring out my life and my marriage and all that. OK maybe I should be reading relationship and self-help books instead of Philip K. Dick but whatever.

So anyway I ransacked the whole damn library looking for the book. I finally found it behind the checkout desk on one of the little trolleys they use to cart books around. WTF? How did it get there?

When I saw it, I just kind of froze. Because seriously, there is no way it could have gotten there. No way at all. Mostly I stay on the second floor because that's where the fiction is, and I've been sleeping on the couches in the YA section. Checkout is way down on the first floor - and since I have the whole library to myself, I haven't needed to check out any books since before the monkeys attacked.

But somehow, "Flow My Tears" walked itself down to the first floor.

You know that scene in "Robinson Crusoe" where Our Hero sees the footprints of a stranger on his supposedly deserted island? (Well, ok, me neither, but I read about it, ok? You don't have to read Moby Dick to know it's about a whale, you know? Same thing.) It was just like that. Scared the crap out of me.

DAISI must have moved it for some reason, though she denies it. She's been really good about giving me my space. She's pretty busy with fortifications. She says this is a really secure building - but there are way too many glass windows for me. Safer here than with Derek and his new Buddhist nun whore maybe, but not much.

I still can't think about Derek. I think I will read a book instead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.